Thank you Float House for providing this educational video!
Floatation therapy is the experience of nothing.
Our day to day lives are filled with information overload. Our brains are constantly busy processing new information, which is exhausting. Floating provides an environment where your brain is free from external stimuli and your body is free from the effects of gravity. This delivers immense benefits from temporary chronic pain relief, shortened muscle recovery time to even longer lasting anxiety relief.
Gravity - Stepping into the tank, you are greeted with 10 inches of water saturated with 1000+ pounds of epsom salts. This makes the water extremely buoyant, much more so than the Dead Sea. Your body is fully supported by this salty water, effortlessly floating and creating a sense of weightlessness.
Temperature - The water is heated to 93.4 degrees Fahrenheit, the same temperature as your skin. After a few minutes you will forget where your body ends and the water begins.
Light + Sound - Once the door is closed behind you, the tank becomes free from light and external sound, creating a sanctuary for your mind and body.
Floatation therapy is best known for:
- Stress Relief - Floating accelerates the reduction of ACTH, adrenaline, noradrenaline and cortisol levels.
- Sports Medicine - Floating shortens recovery time by reducing lactate levels, stimulates muscle growth and reduces pain. (More science behind Floating for athletes.)
- Creativity Enhancement - Inducing a "twilight state" (state between wakefulness and sleep), floatation opens mind up to new ideas and inventions. (Study on floating for creativity.)
The list does not stop here. For more scientific research behind Floating, take a look at the following resources.
Other conditions known to be improved by Floating:
- Muscular pain (Inflammation and soreness)
- PTSD (improved quality of life)
- Chronic pain
- High blood pressure
- Migraine headache
- Jet lag
- Back pain
- Pre-menstrual tension
- Post-natal depression